Check Your Property's Floodplain Status

by Jennifer Loper, 30 Dec 2019

Floodplain Inquiry Map

FEMA floodplain maps show property owners their property's risk for flooding, whether the property is within a regulatory floodplain and, if so, what floodplain.

These regulatory maps are also known as Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) and are used by lenders and the insurance industry to determine which properties require flood insurance.

Find out what floodplain zone your property (within the City of Longmont limits) is in--or will be in--with our Floodplain Inquiry Map, which has been updated to show the preliminary FIRMs.

To use the map, enter your address into the property search box and then turn on the appropriate layer using the "stack of paper" icon at the top left. Compare your results to the legend shown on the left side of the Floodplain Inquiry Map.

If the map shows that any BLUE area--known as “A Zone" (AE, AO, AH, A)--is touching the building and you are applying for any type of federally backed loan, then flood insurance will likely be required. Be sure this information is verified using elevation details such as are provided on an Elevation Certificate.

If the map shows that any BLUE Area / “A Zone” (AE, AO, AH, A) is on your property (but not touching the building), flood insurance is not required by FEMA, but lenders can still request it as part of the loan negotiations.

Be aware that anyone can purchase flood insurance, even if their property is not located within a blue area. Flood insurance is much less expensive if the property is located outside the blue areas (Zone X areas).

Categories: floodplain, map
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link
<span class="translation_missing" title="translation missing:">Load Comment Text</span>